'Dolphins Behaving Badly' and 'Jack the Flipper'
Many people are nervous swimming around sharks but what about dolphins? Television programs such as Flipper have conditioned us into believing that dolphins as loveable creatures. Dolphins are often referred to as “charismatic megafauna” but they have a more sinister side and are not always the friendly playmates we expect them to be.
Dolphin attacks, both in captivity and the wild, have resulted in serious injuries and even death. Angeline asked “Was Harold Holt was surrounded by dolphins on the morning he disappeared?”
Attacks discussed included:
1. A woman was injured by a leaping dolphin while vacationing in the Bahamas suffered a neck injury and hearing loss during what was supposed to be a thrilling swim with the famously gentle mammals.
2. A man was treated for injuries after he jumped into a tank with a mother dolphin and her baby. Twit!
3. A 7-year-old boy who suffered a bruised thumb was the second child in 2 months to be bitten by a dolphin at a marine park attraction in Florida .
4. An enraged dolphin is terrorising the French Atlantic coast, attacking boats and knocking fishermen into the sea.
5. A woman, sitting on the bow of the boat was struck by a dolphin that jumped into the boat she was travelling in. The dolphin had been leaping out of the water on the bow wave when it landed on the woman in the boat.